It’s that time of the year again when everybody is out gathering mushrooms. That is except us as we are still not sure which ones to eat.
Today in Cluny there was the annual display of mushrooms by the Fungus Society (honestly, this sounds much better in French). So again we went around to try and learn what to eat and what not to eat.
The fungi are arranged on saucers and are labelled according to edibility. Some very good to eat, some are harmless but don’t taste good, others have a culmulative effect and some are downright dangerous.
At today’s exhibition you were encouraged to take your mushrooms in for the experts to identify. At other times the local chemist will vet your basket of mushrooms although we have never tried this ourselves.
But I’m still not sure. I noticed some little poisonous mushrooms which looked to me like smaller versions of a safe variety. But we will go into the fields and have a look.